Cookie-Craving Cuckoo at CookieBar Manila

My last post talked about RUB Kapitolyo and very fleetingly, a mention of a specific bakery. Now, allow me to finally rave about CookieBar, a home-based bakery by Ms. Ivorie Acosta! :) During my endless online scavenging for delicious food, I came across this Instagram account that has been attracting followers like bees drawn to flowers. The first thing that delighted my interest was this creative item from their menu: a cookie shot glass. Yes, you read that right. It's a cookie, but it's also a shot-glass. Naturally, I wanted to try it--to gauge the taste of something so ingeniously thought out.

CookieBar Manila
CookieBar Manila



Unfortunately for me, I'm all the way here in Manila while the bakery is all the way at Pasig. :( During that time, CookieBar delivers through SpeedRegalo, which for me is too time-consuming and I'm just that lazy. Haha! (Psst! They do provincial delivery now! Yay, for our provincial-based friends! :D) I was so crazy happy to know that their famous Cookie Shot is sold somewhere near my office--at Commune Artisan Cafe, a Makati crowd favorite. So, being the spoiled girlfriend that I am, I immediately dragged my boyfriend to visit the cafe after work.

The cookie shot glass was an original concept by Dominique Ansel (the same genius who invented cronuts) and brilliantly paid homage to by Ms. Ivorie through CookieBar's Cookie Shot glass. The usual serving suggestion for the cookie shot is warmed with milk or ice cream (in most cases, Holly's Milk or Carmen's Best Ice Cream. Both go great with it!) When I ordered the cookie shot, I was taken aback by the size. I thought it was just a tiny thing I can gobble with one bite. In my defense, it is named as a cookie "shot". And then I realized, yes, it was indeed a shot. You can put only a decent (shot-worthy) amount of milk in it, but the cookie itself was pretty big! I was pleasantly surprised! The cookie was not as tough as you would expect from a treat bearing liquid. But within its bowl is a layer of chocolate that separates the milk from the cookie, preventing the cookie from getting soggy and crumbling. When I took a bite, the cookie exploded with warmth brought on by that rich chocolate layer. It was the perfect snack and a drink! The cookie was a tad too sweet for my taste, but the milk balanced it out nicely.

A bite invites you to refill it with milk until its bowl can no longer hold it, and you're left with that final semi-soaked base you can chew into sweet, sweet oblivion. 

Cookie Shot Glass - CookieBar Manila and CommunePH
Cookie Shot Glass from CookieBar, served at Commune PH

Cookie Shot Glass - CookieBar Manila and CommunePH
Cookie Shot (P320 for a box of 8 at CookieBar) served with milk at Commune

Having a go at that treat satisfied me for a while, but then I started getting antsy as more of CookieBar's IG posts became more delectable. Then came the final knock-out blow: Nutella Smores Cookie Sandwich. The defiance I have left in me completely deteriorated. I just had to get me some of that! And so I did! I scheduled a pick-up with Ms. Ivorie on a weekend and went to their cute little home-based bakery. The only real indication of their place is a tarpaulin sign bearing their name attached to a black gate between Poco Deli and Mad Mark's.

CookieBar Manila

You have to ring their doorbell so they can open the gate and let you in. The place was truly terrific--unusual, yes but also so homey and sweet! It was small; their actual kitchen and receiving area can only hold a few people but my god, it smells amazing in there--like every single one of my sweet dreams manifested themselves with every whiff of that tiny kitchen. If you go there and there are quite a few people crowded inside, you can always chill outside and take advantage of their patio. Take pictures with the CookieBar sign as the back-drop.








The Nutella Smores Cookie Sandwich was so unbelievably, tearing-up-while-you-eat-it, mind-numbingly incredible. I dont know if it's the brand of marshmallow they use or that undeniable dollop of Nutella in between. Maybe it's their actual cookie, so yummy and definitive in flavor, crowning itself king while my taste buds, his willing servants. Every bite screams orgasmic. If I can survive on cookie alone, I'd choose this (and of course, my favorite Kooky Pam pastries). It was just that good--a cookie equivalent of a leprechaun's pot of gold. Aside from being huge, every piece is deliciously heavy and packed. One piece costs P70 but really, it'll fill you up! :D

Nutella Smores Cookie Sandwich - CookieBar Manila
Nutella Smores Cookie Sandwich (P70)

That cookie sandwich drove me into a cookie-obsession. The cookie sandwich alone warranted another visit to this bakery. This time I wanted to try more. I dubbed myself a cookie-craving junkie. For a day, I hoarded cookies like there was no tomorrow. The next I tried was the Vegan Cookie. These pieces of delightful cookies will satisfy even the non-vegans. :D This treat has no eggs or any dairy. It was made from coconut oil, coco sugar (from I Love Coco Natura), and dark chocolate. It is tougher than any other cookie I have tasted from CookieBar, but still so chewy and light! The taste brought back memories of a childhood snack I'm so fond of. I keep trying to remember that particular locally-made chocolate I was crazy about when I was a kid, but I can't seem to put my finger tongue on it! Ugh! Anyway, the pieces of dark chocolate (from Davao's Malago's Chocolate) above the cookie is sooo good. It reminded me of my hot chocolate experience while at Baguio.

Vegan Dark Chocolate Cookies - CookieBar Manila
Vegan Dark Chocolate Cookies (P60)

Vegan Dark Chocolate Cookies - CookieBar Manila
Vegan Dark Chocolate Cookies

The next cookie I tried was a special edition cookie they have just recently started serving in time for Halloween, the Pumpkin Spice Cookie. These cookies kicked off my Halloween mood. Oddly enough, tasting it reminded me of Harry Potter. (You saw that coming, admit it. Haha) They sure did not disappoint with the pumpkin spice. I can even smell the pumpkin spice just holding the bag where the cookies lay, waiting for my eager fingers. I can still smell the pumpkin spice as I write this review. Each bite gives you that kick spreading from your tongue and slowly snowballing into your brain carefully painting a made-up scene of autumn leaves, sunsets, lit Jack-O-Lanterns, and "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" reruns.

Pumpkin Spice Cookie - CookieBar Manila
Pumpkin Spice Cookie (P35)

You will probably see pictures of this next cookie product a lot on their Instagram account and, for a reason. Their Cookie Cups are their ultimate best-sellers. Mini cookies topped with classic and premium sweets, these treats are great for party favors, gifts, or munch-on-while-you-study snacks. Each cup surprises with a Malteser or melted marshmallows or, my favorite, chunks of Reese's Peanut Butter chocolate. I ordered a box to give to my good friend and confidant, Sir Lucky! (Hi Sir Lucky! Thanks for my new banner, btw! \m/) These cookie cups also come in their glorious dark chocolate form. :)

Premium Cookie Cups - CookieBar Manila
Premium Mini Cookie Cups (P260)

Premium Cookie Cups - CookieBar Manila

Classic Cookie Cups - CookieBar Manila
Classic Mini Cookie Cups (P180)

As you can probably notice, I've loaded up my cookie haul pretty seriously. :P Their products are not limited to the ones I've mentioned above. For such a small kitchen, they have a wide selection of confectioneries to choose from. They have Jumbo Cookies with Fleur de Sel (you're on my list you giant cookie, you!), stuffies, and Nutella bites. They also bake cookie cakes. Alas! Not all products are always sold in their kitchen. Due to the limited space in their counter, they rotate the products they sell daily. You can check out their menu on their website.

CookieBar Manila


CookieBar Manila
Laurel's Kitchen and Royaltea Cups sold at CookieBar Manila!

CookieBar Manila



CookieBar Manila


Through their online shop on Instagram, they've built a pretty huge circle of devotees. If you're not following them on Instagram, I really suggest you start doing so. Fair warning, though, because their posts will give you daydreams and their cookies will make you a cookie-craving addict!

CookieBar Manila's owner and baker, Ms. Ivorie Acosta!

Thank you, Ms. Ivorie for allowing me to take pictures of your lovely kitchen! :D


CookieBar Manila
23 East Capitol Drive Brgy.
Kapitolyo, Pasig.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such a sweet article! I'm Ivorie's mom from the distant shores of NYC. www.gretalood.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ms. Greta! :)
      (Btw, I'm a fan of your work.)

      Delete