Review: A Gentleman in Moscow

A Gentleman in MoscowA Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This review is also found on Goodreads! :)
--
I belong to that distinct minority who did not absolutely love this book.

I find myself conflicted. I didn't enjoy this book as much as I had expected. After sleeping on it, I can say with actuality that I did not enjoy this book like everyone else seemed to have done so. It was long and tedious for the most part. The sociopolitical commentary flew right over my head, made my eyes glaze over, and my attention wander. It wasn't a bad book per se, it just didn't...hold my interest. The Count's philosophical musings are pockets of wisdom, but it often felt like I needed to have quite a bit of a background on Russia's history to be able to understand half of what's written on this book. It also felt like reading a lengthy, pretentious, and pompous essay--one that feels like I was forced to read in class--instead of a story.

There were various nuances of the story I wish were focused on: the relationship of the characters, parenthood, and even the unique circumstances of a house arrest. But instead, I got a long-winded meditation that honestly, made me want to abandon the book multiple times. I didn't hate the book. I just don't think the amount of time I spent reading it and trying to understand it was really worth it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment